When I was a kid, my stepfather used to cook Chinese food all the time. And one of my favorite recipe’s was one he called “Chicken with fish sauce”. But I never liked the name, so I have renamed it and adapted it to be my own.
This recipe was originally from the Craig Clairborne and Virginia Lee “The Chinese Cookbook”.
I have modified it a lot and made more sauce. This dish goes great over rice!
Chinese Chicken with Carrots and Shiitake Mushrooms
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts no skin
- 2 large carrots sliced in rounds (about 2 cups)
- 12 dried shiitake mushroom
- 1 can bamboo shoots (optional) (or 1 cup)
- 2 whole red bell peppers
- 4 tbsp fresh ginger thinly sliced in to dime sized pieces peel first
- 2 tbsp egg whites from 1 egg
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 5 tsp corn starch (or arrowroot) for the chicken and later the sauce
- 4 tbsp canola oil or any veg oil but not olive oil
- 4 tbsp chili paste with garlic (Szechwan paste) you can use Siracha sauce
- 5 cloves whole garlic smashed
- 5 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp dry sherry or shao hsing wine or marsala if you don't have dry sherry
- 1/4 cup water + 3 tablespoons
- 1 tsp sesame oil (optional) if you don't have it you can skip this
- Place the dried mushrooms into a bowl and add boiling water to cover and let stand for 15-30 min. Then drain and discard any tough stems, and cut the caps into shreds. Set aside in a bowl.
- Combine the chili paste with garlic, the soy sauce, 1.5 teaspoons of sugar, the wine, and the 5 smashed fresh garlic cloves into a bowl and stir
- Slice chicken breasts into thin slices and put into a mixing bowl
- Beat the egg whites lightly, Add the egg white, salt, 1tsp sugar, and 2 tsp corn starch to the chicken and blend well. Refrigerate for at least 30 min
- Cut up the carrots into thin rounds, set aside
- Cut up the red bell peppers into strips, set aside
- Before you start cooking make sure you have everything ready as the cooking part goes fast!
- In a wok or large skillet head 2 tablespoons of the oil and when it's hot, add the chicken stirring constantly over high head to cook on all sides. Do not over cook, Remove chicken and set aside
- Removed the smashed garlic from your sauce and add to the hot pan and cook the garlic for 2 min.
- Add the carrots and the ginger pieces to the garlic in the pan and cook the carrots for a few min, then add the bell pepper, mushrooms, & bamboo shoots.
- Add the chili paste sauce to the pan with 1/4 cup of water and stir. Then add the chicken to the pan.
- In a small bowl, blend the remaining 3 teaspoons of cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of water and stir it to thicken in the pan. About 1 min more.
- Remove from the pan to a dish and add the sesame oil